This is a lighthearted post, I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it.
I remember dancing in the rain, it was quite fun playing when it rained. I did that a lot of times and I remember when mama would scream…“Get inside, you’ll catch cold”! in my dialect (Ibo) cos that always sunk how serious that instruction was! Then I’d spend a long time shivering afterwards.
I and my friends cooked a lot. You know that kind of cooking you do with empty tomato-tins as pot, broomsticks as firewood, different kinds of grasses as food ingredients and gravels as meat. Lol
I remember tying dolls to my back, acting like a mum and reading to flowers, seats and everything on sight acting like my school teacher.
I was energetic too and enjoyed sports especially the 100m dash-race. ( you’ll have to comman beat me to try this now).
I learnt riding bicycle, knitting, gush! You needed to see me in action with my spoke and wools. Hehe. I also learnt some bit of stitching too that’s why y’all young chaps better take your home economics classes serious.
The hard truth is, you’re only young once. Once you’re grown up, you can never go back. You’re only left with memories. And when you start a career, get married, have kids, life happens! Now picture yourself learning how to ride a bicycle in the street now or how to use the internet. Funny right?
Okies. Let’s delve into this already shall we? Here are five things I wish I learnt growing up.
• Plaiting hair: For real, this is a good skill. You can even make some pretty cool cash with it. I have two daughters and I wish I could plait their hair or even mine pretty well myself. I try sometimes but it never comes out as good as when it’s done by the hairdressers. sob. I’m learning now though.
• Learning other foreign and local languages: I love French, Spanish and German. I wish I can speak them fluently. The best times to learn languages would be childhood right? atleast you have fewer to-do lists. I wish I learnt other local languages in Nigeria too. Like Yoruba, Hausa and Efik. They can be quite useful you know?
• Playing a musical 🎶 instrument: How I love the piano. I can sing pretty well. i dey try. ( or so I think) lol. Learning to play just one instrument would have been so awesome. Music is life!
• Home repairs 101: oh yes! This should be a basic life skill. It is sooo necessary. You know, like being able to fix certain electrical faults around the home. Repairing some plumbing works like the kitchen tap or something. Maybe changing spare tyres as well. Not saying a 12-year old should become an electrician or plumber, but looking into how these things work can be useful sometimes.
• Swimming: Ok!! I wouldn’t want anyone laughing at me at the pool so I might just stylishly learn this as well. What’s the use wearing a bikini and getting on the pool only to stand at the edge? Lol. before water wee comman carry me, I rather just sit outside the pool with my sunshades. its not me that wee comman fall my hand. Yimmu
So there you go guys, what are some stuffs you wish you learnt growing up?
Don’t forget to connect with me on social and subscribe to the blog please.
Do have a pleasant day y’all.